电竞app celebrates the arts every spring with a week-long festival, capped off with 车间一天 on the final day.
Students had the exciting opportunity to chat with singer-songwriter Clairo. She talked about touring with Khalid, what it's like being a female artist, 回答了很多问题. When asked what she wished she knew when she was 17/18 and what she might say to her younger self Clairo shared, "Intuition is a lot more important than I thought. Following that feeling has helped me become who I am now."
Guest Artist/Alumnae Alliyah Allen ’14
Alliyah shared her journey of pursuing a career in art and activism. She is the Program Coordinator for New 艺术 Justice at Express Newark, an incubator for art and activism, an Assistant Curator of Monument Lab, and the Co-Founder of LAND Collective.
Her curatorial and artistic practice focus on the experiences, 叙述, 治疗实践, and transformational image practices surrounding blackness, 历史, 灵性, 和女人. Allyiah draws inspiration from revolutionary artists such as Toni Morrison, 黛博拉·威利斯, Simone Leigh and believes in capturing the beauty, 存在, 还有她的合作者的光芒, which in turn becomes a radical act to rewrite singular 叙述, reclaim power and thrive in liberation.
“Art is a reflection of the times. Art is the bridge that opens up the conversation. 艺术可以用来宣传. It can be used for messaging and to teach people—it can express both. It’s an entry point for larger conversation and to be more inclusive and rewrite those 叙述 that are commonly misplaced.”
- 瓷砖艺术 - Made tiles for the art stairwell to leave their mark on campus for generations to come.
- 摄影记者的客人 - Met with Martin Shields and Mark Gibson, veteran photojournalist in Scotland, who talked about how they get the shot and what it’s really like.
- 回收书 - Made books from simple supplies found in the recycling bin.
- 黑了诗歌 - Blacked out words in existing books that left the words of their own poem.
- 即兴的表演 - Learned the art of improvisation.
- 祈祷旗帜 - Created messages of hope and peace.
- 自然的照片走 - Walked along the wooded trails on campus to capture landscapes and plant portraits.
- 壁画 - Helped paint a student designed mural.
- 自由形态壁画 - Allowed participants to let their creativity flow without the structure of lines.
- 扎染 - Made colorful shirts using different tie dye techniques.
- 粉笔艺术比赛 - Created an original work or recreated a famous work of art to submit.